Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Lesson in Humility

I learned a lesson in humility the hard way. A friend of mine even pointed it out so that I sure not to miss the lesson.

Recently, I posted about my son's good health despite all his internal health issues that are completely unrelated to his immune system. I bragged that while I caught everything, he didn't. No sooner than that was posted than my lesson began.

Snugglebug had been in school for an entire week. At the end of the week, we celebrated with a trip to the park. That evening I noticed a cough but attributed it to allergies. The next morning we were headed to the pediatrician, and he was diagnosed with croup. Just as croup should it lasted three or four days with a couple of bad nights of sleep and a really nasty sounding cough. Since, his school week is Tuesday through Thursday. I wasn't even expecting him to miss school. But, on Monday night his fever spiked the highest it had been all weekend and his cough was back and worse than ever.

I learned the next morning that we should have made a trip to the ER. Our pediatrician was kind and non-judgmental about it. She simply said, "Let's talk about what to do next time." And having a seat walked me through the symptoms, the steps in making a decision to go to the ER, and where to take him should I decide it was necessary. It was all a learning experience and I was grateful for an understanding doctor who was willing to educate me.

Unfortunately for Snugglebug, his croup had turned into pneumonia. He was given some fairly stout antibiotics and sent home with a note that he would be out of school all week. All week he was ill with his fever going up and down. I was worried sick!

Ten days later, my sweet little boy was finally feeling like himself again, and I learned a lesson in humility.


1 comment:

Jennie said...

Oh shoot. I hope he is on the mend and feeling great. That is hard to have a baby be so sick.