Saturday, December 20, 2008

Baby Food--The healthy and frugal way

I've been making Snugglebug's baby food since he started solids at 5 months. It has been quite an experience. You would think it would be easy to puree foods but apparently it isn't. Snugglebug is 10 months old now and eating quite well, and I am proud to say that I have figured it out.

My first inclination to make baby food was simply because I wanted to make sure it was healthy. With my own food allergies and sensitivies, I felt it was adament that I make sure the ingredients were healthy. Along the way, I discovered I was saving a lot of money.

Today, I cooked 3 pounds of Organic sweet peas, pureed them, and froze them. I got 16-3 ounce servings from those 3 pounds. Organic baby food runs 95 cents a jar and I spent $9 thus a savings of $6.20 or 40%. Granted the total savings could be much better if I wasn't insistant on organic. (I'll explain the importance of organic in a later post.)

Store brand frozen vegies that are not organic but still just as tasty cost on average of $1.25 a pound. And if you bought the regular not organic baby food, you would spend on average of 50 cents a jar. The same peas would then save you a grand total of $4.25 or a 53% savings.

In my next post, I'll tell you how I did it!

No comments: