Sunday, January 11, 2009

Taking Positive Thinking to the Next Level

So, I finished Dr. Cury's book and am totally blown away with the concept of training your mind to think correctly. I have always thought it possible to train your mind but never really knew how. And then to think you can think correctly and be happier.

Dr. Cury's theory is that we must "think correctly" in order to live a happy and productive life. What does he mean? That was a bit difficult to decipher, but in the end, I came to the conclusion that it is not allowing ourselves to dwell on the negative aspects of our lives, to not allow our emotions to rule our tongues, and to not allow our minds to convince us that we cannot accomplish something.

He lists 12 principles that if incorporated will help you to think correctly. Those princples are:
1. Be the author of your own story.
2. Direct your thoughts
3. Manage your emotions
4. Protect your memory
5. Learn to listen and dialogue
6. Learn the art of self-dialogue
7. Contemplate beauty
8. Unleash creativity
9. Be restored in your sleep
10. Live an enterprising lifestyle
11. Think Existentially
12. Turn life into a celebration

In the introduction, Dr. Cury recommends taking a week per chapter and incorporating that principle into your thinking throughout the entire week. Each prinicple builds on the previous principle and must be performed in order (according to him.) I found that standing alone each has a certain value. Thus far, I can say that I see the beauty in each moment so much easier than before and am finding more joy in each day. I am finding it easier to forgive and yes, forget.

So, I am anxious to take his message of "thinking correctly" to the next level. I am going to spend the next 12 weeks learning each principle and incorporating them into my daily thinking.

In April, I will post my progess on learning how to "think correctly." If anyone else out there has read or is reading his book and would like to take up the same challenge, leave a comment.

No comments: